Here is the anticipated trick I promise to share. A few of you emailed me in the last few days and I thought why not sharing with the world so that we and our families can travel more for less
Here is the background about the Home Improvement Gift Card from Frequent Miler who discovered and introduced that to us
The big deal about this card is that you can double dip or triple dip at Sears and Lowe’s. In his post, he didn’t specify how to convert Home Improvement Gift Card into “Cash”.
The key is the ability to convert Sears Gift Card into Visa Gift Card at Sears/Sears Grand Stores
Here is the math that we are talking about
1. Go to Office Depot to buy $500 Home Improvement gift card with your Chase Ink credit card (earn 2,500 Ultimate Reward Points)
2. Go through online shopping portals to buy Sears physical gift card paying with Home Improvement card. At the moment Ultimate Reward is giving 4 points/$ and US Airways portal is giving 6 points/$ (this will become AA points soon so rack it up people)
- Sears put $1 hold on your Home Improvement card therefore you can order a maximum amount of $499 from your $500 card
- Remember to buy Sears physical gift card to earn points – electronic card might not earn points
- This trick will give you either 1,996 Ultimate Reward points or 2,994 US Airways points
3. Go to Sears store to buy Visa/Amex/Master gift cards with Sears physical gift cards. Instruction is in this post. This will depend on your hard work and your luck since some Sears stores don’t sell Visa gift cards or don’t let you buy them with Sears gift card. I believe with hard work, you will be able to find your gold mine
- Sears sell $100 Visa gift card with $5.95 fees
- I don’t think you earn Shop Your Way Award (Sears loyalty program) points with Visa gift card purchase. But feel free to prove me wrong
4. Buying $500 Visa gift cards at Sears will cost $30 but will give you 2,500 Ultimate Rewards + 3,000 US Airways points. Assuming these two points are the same, cost per point = .54 cent/point
How to get your money out:
5. According to this thread on Flyertalk, it seems like from 04-01-2013, you can create a PIN with your Visa/Master gift card and use it to load Blue Bird at Walmart for $1000 free per day or $5000 free per month. Or you can use Visa/Master gift cards to buy money order with PIN at many grocery stores or USPS stores
- This is huge since there is no cost involving cashing out Visa/Master gift card for $5,000 per month
6. Use Amazon payment to liquidate $1,000 of Visa gift cards per month for free. Alternatively, use American Express at Target to load a $1,000 at a time for $3 fees.
- $3 per reload in-store
- $3 per ATM withdrawal after the first free withdrawal each month. Note that ATM owner fees apply as well.
- Number of cards: Each person is allowed up to two cards. Only one may be purchased in a day.
- Maximum balance: $2500 per card
- ATM withdrawals: Limited to $400 per day
- You can load up to $5,000 per month (potentially $10,000 per month)
You can also buy Vanilla Reload at Valero, Dollar General and Family Dollar with Visa Gift Cards
Some parting words, I love this trick because you can earn a lot of miles with less manufactured spending. Right now, you earn 11 points/$ however when Sear award 10 points/$, it will become 15 points/$. I try not to manufacture spend more than $10k per month so that the banks won’t ever question my income and ability to cover bills.
If you enjoyed this post, feel free to follow me via Twitter @duc1986d or subscribe to the blog via Email below.